Join us for the 19th Annual Jack Kilby STEM Day!
Barton is happy to announce that our Keynote Speaker for 2023 is Dr. Kate Biberdorf.
For more information contact the Jack Kilby STEM Day Committee at (620) 792-9283 or JKSTEMDay@bartonccc.edu.
Why Dr. Kate Biberdorf is Captivating Audiences
At the University of Texas, Dr. Kate Biberdorf is breaking stereotypes and blowing stuff up – all in a good pair of heels. Through her theatrical and hands-on approach to teaching, Dr. Biberdorf is breaking down the image of the stereotypical scientist, while reaching students that might otherwise be intimidated by science. Students’ emotional responses, rather than rote memorization of facts, is key to Biberdorf’s dynamic approach to her program, as well as science in general. Her exciting and engaging program leaves audiences with a positive, memorable impression of science – all while diminishing the stigma around women in science. She has appeared on The Today Show, The Kelly Clarkson Show, NBC Nightly News, The Wendy Williams Show and Late Night with Stephen Colbert.
Dr. Biberdorf is the author of Kate the Chemist: The Big Book of Experiments, a collection of 25 kid-friendly science experiments that come prepared with a messiness factor rating and a note from Kate about how each experiment works. She released Dragons vs. Unicorns, a children’s novel, in 2020. Her latest book is It’s Elemental: Chemistry in Everything, released in Summer of 2021. It’s a chemistry guide that explains the science we experience every day.
- When - November 20, 2023
- Time - 8:30 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Where - Barton Community College Campus (Maps)
- Who's invited - All high school juniors and seniors, plus High School students with appropriate IEPs, high school instructors, staff, and administrators.
- Cost - JKSD is FREE for all attendees, but registration is required.
Schedule of Events:
- 8:30 a.m. - 9:00 a.m. - Check in for registration (Fine Arts building)
- 9:00 a.m. - 9:05 a.m. - Welcome Assembly (Fine Arts Auditorium)
- 9:15 a.m. - 10:00 a.m. - Session 1 - Keynote Speaker (Fine Arts Auditorium) OR Breakout Session 1
- 10:15 a.m. - 11:00 a.m. - Session 2 - Breakout 2
- 11:15 a.m. - 12:00 p.m. - Session 3 - Keynote Speaker (Fine Arts Auditorium) OR Lunch/Campus Tour
- 12:15 p.m. - 1 p.m. - Session 4 - Breakout 3 OR Lunch/Campus Tour
Breakout Session Pathways
Students will choose from the pathways described below. Within each pathway, students will select two breakout sessions.
Pathways are either:
- Blue Path: Keynote / Breakout 2 / Lunch & Campus Tour / Breakout 3
- Gold Path: Breakout 1 / Breakout 2 / Keynote / Lunch & Campus Tour
Breakout Session Activities:
A Day in the Life of a Meteorologist - Vanessa Pearce
Agriculture in Our Society - Maggie Tracy
Blood and Slime - Karen Gunther & Andrea Thompson
Breakout Box Challenge with the Avengers - Charlotte Cates & Laura Schlessiger
Centrifugal Force and the Pottery Wheel - Mark Freeman
Charting Your Career Map: Navigating Your Path to Professional Success with Textron Aviation - Sam Zupko, Cait Gregory, & Izzy Montes
Dancing Flames - Jeff Meyer
GMO, Bioengineering and Ag - Let's Look Under the Label - Alicia Boor & Michelle Beran
HazMat Identification 101 - Lindsay Holmes
Healthy Activities - Tyler Schiffelbein
How Virtual and Augmented Reality are Shaping the Future - Michael Oetken
Jack & Alice - Cristi Gale
Kinesiology and Injury Prevention - Danika Bielek
Pharmacy and the Science - A Prescription for Success - Nicolette Lindstrom, PharmD, BCPS
Photosynthesis in Plants - The Biological Solar Panel - Melissa Nelson & Troy Ostmeyer
Physics and your Home - Matthew Mazouch
STEM in the “Hands On” world of Construction Management, Engineering Design, and Manufacturing Technology - Kim Stewart & Eric Deneault
Stem Related Military Occupation - SSG Aaron Parr, SSG Young, & SGT Gonzalez
Sugar High - Kara Brauer
Telescope and Multi-Wavelength Astronomy - Sherry Rogers
The Science and Math of Crime Scene Investigations - Jeanette Covey
The Wonders of Chemistry - Dr. Amanda Alliband
Virtual Human Dissection - Dr. Oleg Ravitskiy
Water Water Everywhere, but REALLY? - Rick Sloan
Wildlife Telemetry - Mandy Kern
2023 JKSD Sponsors:
- Barton Community College Foundation
- Golden Belt Community Foundation
- Drs. Oleg & Irena Ravitskiy
- Dennis & Jann Sherman
- Superior Essex
- Dr. Jennifer Bernatis
- Lucky Keller from Select Sires