Academic and Enrollment Information

Find information on the following topics: Academic Clemency  |  Academic Progress  |  Adding/Dropping Classes  |  Advanced Placement/CLEP  |  Classification of Students  |  Credit for Prior Learning  |  Graduation  |  Non-Repeatable Courses  |  Repeatable Courses  |  Waitlist Process  |  Withdrawal from College

Academic Clemency

Barton Community College seeks to provide a supportive and challenging environment in which students can improve their basic intellectual skill and equip themselves for a fulfilling life and responsible citizenship in a world characterized by change. We acknowledge that there are circumstances that necessitate an academic "fresh start" and offer academic clemency as a means to make academic rehabilitation possible.

  • Applicants for academic clemency are eligible to apply for clemency after a two-year waiting period from the date of their respective academic "crisis."
  • Applicants for academic clemency must demonstrate improved academic performance in the semester(s) subsequent to their academic crisis (i.e., at least 12 credit hours and a 2.5 grade point average) to be eligible for clemency.
  • No more than 1-2 consecutive semesters of clemency may be considered.

The following limitations apply:

  • Applicants receiving academic clemency are not eligible for graduation with honors at the Barton Community College.
  • Applicants may only receive academic clemency once.
  • Only course credit earned at Barton Community College is eligible for academic clemency.

The process for applying for academic clemency:

  • Applicants must obtain and complete application for clemency (and submit all supporting documentation) to the College Registrar. Such action shall take place within 60 working days of the receipt of the request.
  • Applicants for academic clemency are asked to identify a limited number of courses within the stated period (1 - 2 consecutive semesters), and include this information with documentation regarding their clemency appeal.
  • Applicants should acknowledge the circumstances surrounding their academic crisis, and explain what they have done to effect recovery.
  • The decision-making process shall be approved by Registrar, respective dean(s), and/or the respective faculty.
  • If, in the decision-making process, there is not clear consensus, the Vice President of Instruction will make the final decision.

Academic Progress

To meet the required academic and progress performance standards of Barton Community College, a student should consider the following:

Academic Standing
If your scholastic performance appears to offer little prospect of academic success, you may be dismissed with or without privilege of reinstatement. You may not petition for reinstatement until one semester has expired after academic dismissal from the College.

Procedures Governing Academic Warning and Dismissal
If you have not accumulated a 1.5 GPA when 24 credit hours have been attempted you will be placed on a one-semester warning. This academic warning is designed to alert you that you may encounter difficulty in meeting graduation requirements and steps should be taken immediately to improve your academic status. You must have a 2.0 GPA when you have attempted 48 hours.  If the cumulative GPA is below this minimum, you will be placed on academic warning after one semester. (Note: All computations are based on A, B, C, D, or F grades).

If you have been placed on academic warning for one semester and do not raise your GPA to the minimum requirements as outlined, you will be dismissed for one semester. However, you will not be dismissed at the close of a semester or summer term during which you achieved a "C" (2.0) average or better.

If you have been dismissed from the College for poor academic progress, you will be provided a period of at least one semester during which you may reconsider and re-evaluate your academic goals. At the end of the dismissal period, you may apply for admission to the College by filling out a regular application for admission form. You will not be allowed to enroll in more than 12 credit hours for the first semester of attendance after a period of dismissal.

Any person limited by these regulations who has marked improvement or who believes he/she has been affected unfairly may appeal to the Enrollment Services Office.

Adding/Dropping Classes

Adding Classes
Day and evening classes may be added through the first week of a semester only. After the official closing dates for adding classes, you must first receive permission from the instructor and sign a learning contract. You may enroll with a signed learning contract for one additional week after the 1st week of class. This procedure does not include "mini-classes" or classes taught for more or less weeks than the regular full semester. Change-of-Schedule forms may be picked up from the Admissions Office, Enrollment Services Office, Advisement Center, or from Advisors. You must pay for added classes at the time of the add.

Dropping Classes
Courses dropped through the first two weeks classes in both the fall and spring semesters and through the 10th day of classes in the summer session will not be recorded on a transcript. After the 20th day of classes in the fall and spring semesters and the 10th day of classes in the summer session, a "W" will be recorded for courses dropped officially. Final drop dates are published in bulletins, Student Handbooks and the Enrollment Services Office. Change-of-Schedule forms may be picked up from the Admissions Office, Enrollment Services Office, Advisement Center, or from advisors. Students are responsible for dropping classes and are required to visit with instructors or an advisor before dropping classes.

Course (Drop Date)
The last day to drop a course with a "W" grade shall be five (5) weeks before the end of the semester (Fall and Spring Semesters only.)

Things to Consider Before Dropping a Class

  • If you receive FINANCIAL AID, will dropping the class affect your financial status?
  • If you need 12 hours or more for INSURANCE, will dropping the class affect your eligibility?
  • If you are an ATHLETE, will dropping the class affect your eligibility?
  • Have you talked to your INSTRUCTOR about dropping the class? Perhaps things aren't as bad as they seem. Have a talk with your instructor.
  • Is the course you want to drop going to be offered again when you need it? Some classes are only offered one semester a year. It may be a year before you can re-enroll.
  • Are you WORKING too many hours? It is likely that by just cutting down your work hours, you will be able to do better in the class.
  • Have you tried the tutoring services in the Library? Student Services provides free tutoring.

Advanced Placement/CLEP/DANTES/ACE

Barton Community College recognizes the College Entrance Examination Board (CEEB) for Advanced Placement Examinations.  Please check with the Office of Enrollment Services for additional information.

Barton Community College's faculty have reviewed the recommendations of the Commission of Educational Credit and Credentials of the American Council on Education (ACE) in awarding credit for College-Level Examination Program (CLEP) examinations and Defense Activity for Non Traditional Education Support (DANTES) examinations and have established the approved course and credit Barton equivalencies. Students are able to obtain this list by contacting their advisor or the Advisement Center and are required to send their test scores to the Registrar at the College. After evaluation, the student will receive notification of credit awarded by the Enrollment Services Office.

As of July 1, 2017 and in accordance with Kansas Board of Regents institutions, Barton will award credit for the equivalent Barton course(s), for all CLEP exam scores at or above the American Council of Education’s (ACE) credit-granting recommended score of fifty (50).

Please Note: Students in allied health programs must check with the director of their program to determine if a particular CLEP or DANTES examination may be accepted in their program or if the course must be taken in a classroom setting.

CLEP Tests - Barton Equivalency Course List

Advanced Placement Tests - Barton Equivalency Course List

Classification of Students

Students are classified as freshmen through the completion of 31 hours.

A student with 32 or more hours is classified as a sophomore.

Credit for Prior Learning

Credit for Prior Learning is a comprehensive term used to describe credit awarded for learning gained outside a traditional postsecondary academic environment. “Prior Learning Assessment” (PLA) is also used to describe CPL. CPL involves the evaluation and assessment of an individual’s learning obtained through activities such as working, participating in employer training programs, serving in the military, studying independently, completing advanced secondary level coursework, studying open source coursework, volunteering or doing community service. CPL may take the form of postsecondary credit, certification, or advanced standing toward further education or training. Postsecondary level credit is the optimal outcome.

The Kansas Board of Regents advocates appropriate use of CPL for its benefits to students, institutions, and the state.  CPL recognizes the credit-worthy education and training that takes place outside of traditional educational pathways and offers students the opportunity to apply that training and education toward obtaining a postsecondary credential.

All CPL credit awarded at Barton is not guaranteed transferability to any other institution. 

Barton offers the following CPL credit:

  • Credit by Examination -  The intent of credit by examination is to offer a method for students to demonstrate previously mastered competencies and to assist students in completion of the educational goals.  Credit earned will be placed on the student’s academic transcript at Barton.  A student must request official CLEP and AP score reports and submit to the Enrollment Services Office.  As of July 1, 2017 and in accordance with Kansas Board of Regents institutions, Barton will award credit for the equivalent Barton course(s), for all CLEP exam scores at or above the American Council of Education’s (ACE) credit-granting recommended score of fifty (50).
  • Credit for Military Training -  Students in the military can request to have their military experiences and training evaluated by providing the school a Joint Service Transcript (JST). Students can request to have JST forwarded to Barton for evaluation. Please note, before an evaluation can be completed, the student must have passed at least one course with Barton. Military students will also need the following documents: most up-to-date copy of student’s Enlisted Record Brief (ERB) or DD214 (for individuals who are no longer in the military). Students can also bring any applicable certificates that they would like to be evaluated for college credit that are not listed on their JST or ERB. Soldiers can request to have their military evaluation re-evaluated once every six months.
  • Credit for Military Alignment – Collaborative on Military Credit has been working to evaluate and award credit for military training.  Refer to the Kansas Board of Regents website for additional information.
  • Industry/Workplace Credit - Credit from seminars and certificates of completion will be evaluated only upon student request and only if the student is a degree-seeking student and majoring in the field to which the credit pertains.  Students submits the certificates and/or documentation to the appropriate Program Director for review.  This can include certifications and professional licensure.
  • Apprenticeship – A combination of on the-job training and related technical instruction in which workers learn the practical and theoretical aspects of a highly skilled occupation.  Apprenticeship programs may be sponsored by individual employers, joint employer and labor groups, and/or employer associations
  • Portfolio Review - Postsecondary credit is awarded as a result of review of a portfolio prepared by the student to demonstrate learning acquired outside of the classroom and that is relevant to the student’s educational program. A portfolio may include documentation such as certificates of training, work samples, awards and honors, job descriptions, performance evaluations, samples of work product, evidence of self-directed learning, and resumes to validate equivalent learning outcomes are met. A portfolio course may be offered by the institution to assist the student in preparing a quality portfolio
  • Career Pathway -  Organized groupings of rigorous academic and career related secondary courses taught by secondary faculty, leading from education to employment, that identify each step, skill, educational requirement and aptitude needed to be successful within a specific career. Post-secondary credit is awarded based on faculty evaluation (at post-secondary level) of the secondary course or group of courses whose outcomes are considered equivalent to those of a post-secondary level course. (The process usually results in articulation agreements between a secondary and a post-secondary institution.
  • Foreign College Credit – Students requesting foreign credit are required to submit an official course-by-course evaluation of the credit.  Barton recommends using for the evaluation.  Credit is awarded for lower division courses that are equivalent to a Barton course only.

CPL Requirements:

  • CPL credit must be equivalent to Barton Community College courses and apply to the degree sought.
  • Courses recorded as CPL credit do not count towards the required Barton residency 15 hours.
  • CPL credit is recorded as a grade of “P” for Pass credit and will not count in the grade point calculations.
  • CPL credit cannot be used to meet the enrollment requirement for federally funded financial aid programs.

Grading System



Grade Points Per Credit Hour





Above Average






Below Average, passing






Violation of Academic Integrity and Failing



Pass-Credit only

not computed in cumulative grade point average*



no credit**



no grade computed, no credit***



no grade computed, no credit****


Academic Clemency

no grade computed, no credit*****

*Certain courses may be offered in which you are graded only as having passed or failed. The courses are added to your credit hour total but are not included in the grade point average.

**An incomplete “I” is a temporary grade, agreed upon by the instructor, and awarded to a student that is unable to complete course requirements by the end of the academic term. Incomplete Grade Information

***Your withdrawal from courses through the 20th day of classes in both the fall and spring semester and through the 10th day of classes in the summer session will not be recorded on a transcript. After the 20th day of classes in the fall and spring semesters and after the 10th day of classes in the summer session, a "W" will be recorded for courses withdrawn from officially. After the final drop date published each semester, official class withdrawals will not be processed.

****You may audit a class by enrolling in the class and paying the current audit fee per credit hour. You must declare that you are auditing the class and file with the Office of Enrollment Services at the College an "Audit Declaration Form" prior to the beginning of the semester.

*****If you have gone through the academic clemency appeal process and have been awarded clemency for certain courses, your initial grade will be changed to a "CL." The "CL" grade will not average into your GPA.

Special Note: A student may retake a course to improve the grade only if the course is not designated as repeatable in the master course list. The repeat grade will be used to determine the student's grade point average regardless of whether it is higher or lower than the original grade. The original grade and credit are not counted, although they remain on the transcript. Before retaking a course, students should check with their advisor to determine whether the course can be repeated for the purpose of improving the grade.


Catalog Requirements

Students who remain continuously enrolled from time of entry to application for graduation will be held to the catalog requirements in effect when they declare their program of study, unless a later catalog is adopted.   “Continuous enrollment” refers to annual Fall and Spring semester enrollment (or equivalent) in a minimum of at least one credit bearing course per semester.   Should a student’s enrollment be interrupted, they will be held to the guidelines and requirements of the catalog of record at the time of program re-entry.

This guideline does not apply to students with documented leave of absence justification or members of the military involved in deployment operations. Changes to prerequisites and/or curriculum which occur for purposes beyond graduation – e.g. regulatory and legislative updates, third party accreditation or other certification bodies requirements, increased skill demand from industry, employment or transfer requirement changes, or recommended and/or mandated changes from the Kansas Board of Regents or other such entities are not subject to these catalog requirements.

Dual Degree(s) - A student may apply and pay the graduation fee for the receipt of more than one degree from the College, provided they have met the following requirements for the additional degree: 

  • A minimum of 15 Barton hours of credit completed in addition to meeting the requirements of the first degree.
  • Dual degrees can be sought and awarded within the same semester.
  • At least 15 hours must have been taken at the College.

Grades - Students must achieve an overall 2.0 grade point average to be eligible for graduation.

Intent to Graduate - Applying for graduation is not an automatic process; you must file a notice of intent to graduate and pay applicable fees if you wish to receive an Associate's degree from the College. This notice of intent must be filed with the Enrollment Services Office by filling out the College's Application for Graduation.

Priority Graduation Application Deadlines:
February 1st - Spring Graduation
June 1st - Summer Graduation
September 1st - Fall Graduation

Transfer and Articulation Agreement - If you complete an Associate in Arts or Associate in Science degree based on a baccalaureate-oriented sequence at a state and regionally accredited Kansas public community college and your program of study has met the requirements of the Kansas Public Community College-Kansas Regents Transfer Agreement and Articulation Guide, you will be accepted with junior standing and will have satisfied the general education requirements of all Regents universities. Your advisor will have information on the agreement to help you plan your course schedule.

Graduation Requirements
Associate in Science
Associate in Arts
Associate in Applied Science
Associate in General Studies
General Education Courses


Highest Honors
If you complete all requirements for an associate's degree with a GPA of 3.7 or above, you will graduate with highest honors.

If you complete all requirements with a GPA of 3.5 to 3.69, you will graduate with honors.

To be eligible for Honors or Highest Honors, you must complete 15 credit hours at Barton.

President's List
The President's List is published at the end of every semester. To be eligible, you must successfully complete at least 12 semester hours of college-level course work with a GPA of 4.0.

Dean's List - The Dean's List is published at the end of every semester. To be eligible, you must successfully complete at least 12 semester hours of college-level course work with a GPA of 3.5 to 3.99.
Grades for course work completed outside the traditional semester schedule(s) shall not be included in these GPA calculations.

How To Figure Your GPA
To calculate a grade-point average, add the points earned and divide that total by the number of GPA hours attempted. For example:


GPA Hours



BSTC 1001

1 hour x


= 4 points

PSYC 1002

1 hour x


= 4 points

ENGL 1204

3 hours x


= 3 points

MATH 1826

5 hours x


= 10 points

SOCI 1100

3 hours x


= 9 points

COMM 1200

3 hours x


= 0 points

Total = 16 GPA Hours



Total = 30 points

30/16 = 1.875, or 1.88




Total is 16 GPA hours attempted and 30 points earned;
30 points divided by 16 hours =1.88 grade-point average.

Non-Repeatable Courses

Although there may be circumstances which merit the repetition of a non-repeatable course for credit (i.e., improvement of gpa or satisfaction of course pre-requisite), the results of the repeated course shall apply only once toward graduation requirements.

When a non-repeatable course is repeated for credit, the most recent grade earned shall be used to calculate the student's grade point average.

Policy For Transfer Students
All hours accepted by the College (excluding developmental hours) will be incorporated into your Barton Community College total hours for grade point purposes to determine whether you graduate with honors or highest honors. To be eligible for honors or highest honors, you must complete 15 credit hours at Barton Community College.

Repeatable Courses

A repeatable course can be repeated an additional three times in order to satisfy credit requirements for graduation.


 Waitlist Process

Waitlisting in a course allows a student to reserve a spot and wait for the next available seat.  When a seat opens (due to another student dropping the course), the first student on the waitlist is enrolled and notified.  Notification is sent to the student’s cougar email and advisor. Waitlists are active from the first day of registration of the term until the last day to enroll for the full term. 

The following rules apply for advisors and students with using the waitlist option:

  • A student may only enroll in one waitlist class section per course subject and course number.
  • A student will not be permitted to enroll on a waitlist if officially enrolled in another section of the same course.
  • A student will be permitted to enroll on a waitlist only if they meet the prerequisite for the class.
  • Barton allows a maximum of 2 spots on the waitlist for each course. 

When students are waitlisted for a course, they are not officially enrolled in the credit hours and not charged tuition and fees.


Withdrawal from College

If you wish to withdraw from all classes at the College for the remainder of a semester, you must secure a withdrawal form through the Enrollment Services Office or your advisor. If you are receiving federal financial aid, you should meet with you Financial Aid Officer." After you have returned all College books and other equipment, paid all fines and fees, turned in your student ID or Activity Cards, and are cleared in every respect with the College, you will be cleared for withdrawal. If you fail to comply with the above procedure, you will not be recommended to any other college or university, you will not be eligible to receive refunds of such fees or deposits. Outstanding debts may be subject to legal action.