College Advantage

About College Advantage

Students learn first hand the demands of going to college while still in high school. They experience the process of enrolling in college classes; get a feel for the costs associated with tuition, fees and textbooks; and participate in classes addressing the same outcomes and competencies as courses offered on the Barton campus. Courses vary by participating high school; dual credits are determined by high school administration.

A student’s transition from high school to college is enhanced and students are introduced to academic enrichment and challenging college coursework. Students and their families are exposed to valuable learning lessons which support remaining college experiences.

The Boost Scholarship

The Boost Scholarship Application for students who qualify for free or reduced lunch through their Unified School District, is available by request. The Boost Scholarship is available to students in Barton's seven-county service area (Barton, Ellsworth, Pawnee, Rush, and Russell counties, Stafford County north of US Highway 50, and northwestern Rice County).

Beginning May 1, 2019, the Boost Scholarship pays for three (3) credit hours per semester at the face-to-face rate regardless of delivery method.  Students are responsible for tuition differences between face-to-face and online classes, any applicable program fees, and textbook costs.  The Scholarship is available to qualifying students during the fall and spring semesters with no funding available for summer coursework.

New and Existing Partnerships

Central Plains High 

Hoisington High 

Pawnee Heights High 

Chase High 

La Crosse High 

Russell High 

Ellinwood High 

Larned High 

St John High 

Ellsworth High 

Lyons High 

Wilson High 

Great Bend High 

Otis-Bison High 

Partnered Online

The State of Kansas requires that high school students must be at least sophomores (10th grade) at the time the class begins.  Due to this requirement, Barton contacts the student's high school to verify school year/current enrollment.  This is to gain authorization of age, not permission, from the respective high school.

Unified School Districts have complete approval over dual credit partnerships and the awarding or not awarding of high school credit for college classes.  Check with a district or high school official prior to enrollment. 

The reporting of final grades for dual credit purposes is done only at the request of the student's high school official and is not completed automatically.