January 26, 2023
Story and photo by Joe Vinduska
Medical Assistants are vital to the operation of any medical facility and now people wanting to pursue a career in this exciting field can now do so completely online through Barton Community College and complete their clinical work at local medical facilities in their area.
There is an associate degree option as well as a certificate option and textbooks are offered at a low cost for this program.
Medical assistants perform important tasks:
- Record patient history and personal information
- Measure vital signs, such as blood pressure
- Help physicians with patient examinations
- Give patients injections or medications as directed by physicians and as permitted by state law
- Schedule patient appointments
- Prepare blood samples for laboratory tests
- Enter patient information into medical records
According to the United States Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median income is up to $38,000 and projected growth for this profession is 16 percent from now through 2031.