What do Graphic Designers Do?
- Create special effects, animation, game design, video or other electronic media.
- Prepare graphics and design layouts for magazines, packaging and advertising.
- Weave text and graphics for internet ready formats, upload websites and manage electronic publishing technologies.
- Dynamic curriculum
- Focused on industry needs
- Innovative - responsive to changing technology
- Skills learned are easily transferred in the Art Department among multiple forms of media and toward other design disciplines.
- Instructors inspire students through creative and forward thinking.
- Transfer program option
- Faculty has recent industry internship experience
About the Program
- Encourages your creativity
- Promotes your ability to generate fresh ideas.
- Provides you the opportunity to use software to generate eye-catching media concepts and products
- Offers you the chance to blend art and technology skills that will take you far into the future.
What kinds of careers are Barton graduates performing?
- In house design work for training simulations on behalf of major corporations, ad composition for advertising agencies, page layout for a major sports team, web page design for local businesses, event design, quick print shops, sign shops, newspapers, full service commercial print shops, and in house graphics management.
- Graphic Designers can expect to earn between $30,600 and $53,310 annually Source: Kansas Career Pipeline
- Growth potential:
- Expected to grow approximately 10 percent due to the expansion of the video entertainment market, including television, movies, video, and made-for-Internet outlets
- Demand for graphic design continues to increase from advertisers, publishers, and computer design firms
Source: US Department of Labor Occupational Outlook Handbook, 08/09
Graphic designers find employment in a variety of settings, which include advertising, independent graphic studios, publishing houses, printing companies, service bureaus, newspapers, magazine publishers, financial/insurance institutions, television, fashion and movie studios. Advertising is an integral part of the business system, with major corporations spending over $100 million on web sites, ads, and commercials for print, broadcast, the Internet, and outdoor media. Well-trained, talented artists who have a mastery of artistic materials, techniques, different mediums and skills are more likely to gain full-time employment. Employers are hiring candidates who possess a variety of skills, especially knowledge of computer software, rather than specialists in one particular area.
2018-2020 Curriculum Guides: Students who enrolled in their program prior to Fall 2020 should use should use the following Curriculum Guide.
Associate in Arts (Transfer)
Barton Community College can prepare you for transfer to the college or university of your choice.
Associate in Arts
2018-2020 Graphic Design - Transfer to University
2020-2022 Curriculum Guides: Newly admitted or returning re-admitted students for Fall 2020 or later should use the following Curriculum Guide.
Associate in Arts
2020-2022 Graphic Design - Transfer to University